PAST EVENT / October 25, 2015: Halloween Special: Spiders, Snakes, and Other Beasts!
October 25: Halloween Special: Spiders, Snakes, and Other Beasts!
Please join us for a “creepy” afternoon on the nature side of Halloween. We’ll have a fun and informative look at snakes and spiders with live animals on display, including snakes native to Maryland and a tarantula! We’ll have other creepy items from our natural history collection on display too. Come dressed in costume (something from nature!) and trick-or-treat with us!
Special presentation / 1:15pm – “Why Are Snakes So Creepy?” by Tim Hoen. Why are snakes so creepy? They have no ears, so how do they hear? Discover the 27 different kinds of snakes in Maryland, and much more. Tim will display snake sheds, snake eggs, and snake skulls!
Ongoing from 1:00-4:00pm: Displays of live as well as preserved snakes, spiders, and other ‘ghoulish’ items from our extensive natural history collection. Plus Halloween-themed crafts for children.
• Displays of live and preserved snakes, spiders, and other ghoulish “beasts”
• Information on Maryland native snakes and spiders
• Myths and Facts about snakes and spiders
• Fun spider / web / snake crafts and activities for children
• Spider scavenger hunt
• Raven display accompanied by a rendition of Edgar Allan Poe’s mysterious poem “The Raven”
FREE ADMISSION / OPEN TO THE PUBLIC / PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED – Just stop by at your convenience!